Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Preferred Components?

Does anyone own an HAB? Where does an owner get help? Contact me directly if you want to share experiences about the HAB. [email protected]

Proving to myself that Kikovault’s HAB is the least well know battery solution on the web.

I am planning an off-grid full-time modern home build on a southern slope of a cold mountain in southwest Montana based on four HAB’s and adding pairs of HAB’s annually.

I would like to know Kilovault’s recommended components for this build. It seems that every ‘system builder/installer’ prefers  a different inverter, charge controller, etc. and seemingly each device is both better and worse than a competing product.

As I am budgeting $50K for an expandable system and I’d like to get the future proofing correct.

(Asked here because other correspondence was unanswered.)

I recently installed a solar system for our home that utilizes one HAB (soon to expand to 2), Canadian solar panels, a Magnum MSPAE 4448 inverter mounted in a midnight solar E-panel and a midnite solar classic 200 solar charge controller.  I purchased all of these from Alt-E.  Their prices are good and they are very responsive. We are in rural central New Mexico and have access to the grid, so the grid is a backup.  This is not a whole house solution.  I moved the critical loads over to a subpanel which is driven by the inverter (Refrigerator, freezer, well, grinder pump, computer/network stuff and a few outlets for charging cell phones, etc.)  Everything is running well now although it took me awhile to fine tune the magnum and charge controller to get the most out of the panels.  There are a number of ways to setup the inverter - some did not work well although the one I use it in now is reliable and predictable.  I chose the magnum inverter and the midnight solar charge controller because of their reputation for reliability.  Both can be easily expanded for larger needs such as yours.  The Magnum is somewhat "low tech" in that you have to buy a Magnum solution in order to have it connected to your local internet.  It is possible to mine data from its data bus, but that is a diy solution that is well documented across the internet even though the magnum protocol is proprietary.  The HAB has been bullet proof although it's Android app is pretty elementary.  The Midnite charge controller is highly flexible and easy to setup.  We have had some significant snow fall recently, with a few power outages, and the system got us through that (along with a wood-burning stove) very comfortably.  Since each component is from a different company, they don't "talk" to each other although tech support at Alt-E told me that a data connection solution between the HAB and the Magnum inverter is forthcoming.

I haven't been in your neck of the woods since spending a week tromping around the Absaroka Wilderness several years ago.  Beautiful country.

Hope this helps.

gubbool has reacted to this post.
gubbool

Thanks for the reply.

This site must be the poorest place on the www to get information about a kilovault product.

Apparently, and I’m hoping, Kilovault just isn’t web aware.

I’m thinking that I’m going to regret my purchase of the HAB’s.

I decided to set up a solar system by mid-august when the hurricane season was threatening to get worse.  My wife demanded to get some type of energy backup since we were also in the middle of getting a new Electric Power company controlling the transmission and the system was so fragile that we were getting selective blackouts every other day.  Looking around local companies I saw one selling the Sigineer 3048NC Hybrid charge controller/inverter/charger and auto transfer switch and decided that was what I wanted since I did not have a lot of space to put boxes on the wall and it would be a simpler solution. So after I got it then started to look for a Lithium battery system and after ditching other brands for being less powerful I decided to contact Alt-E by phone.  After a few phone calls I was convinced that I wanted the battery and decided to order.  Since I am in Puerto Rico and Alt-E has a local warehouse in the island it was an easy task to pay and pickup the battery.  After getting the battery I started to gather all the materials needed to configure and install all connections it took me about 2 months to complete.  By December after installing the PV panels I set up the charge/discharge cycle to calibrate the battery as per instructions.  Once I got it set, I have been tweaking the settings in the charge controller to maximize the performance of the system.  Like scastill59 said I tried to make the system power the critical loads mostly by Solar and keeping the battery fully charged during the days.  At night the battery powers the whole house.  Not that I have a lot of loads since from the beginning I started to remove unnecessary loads like old light bulbs and replace them with led, replaced the fridge for an inverter type one, power supplies and other stuff and mostly educating my wife to prevent unnecessary lights or equipment being on unattended.  Done that I went from spending 22.5KWh per day to actually 2.5KWh a day with critical loads.  Here we are charged about 0.26$/KWh so I was spending like $150.00 to $180.00 per month.  Now last bill was only 100KWh or $26.58.  This because I still have the clothes dryer, Kitchen stove and the inline water heater for shower. I have spent a lot of time monitoring the performance I have no regrets with the battery.  I am only using currently 6 Trina Solar PV 380watts panels and they charge the battery in about 3 hours in the morning, since I am only consuming about 35% of the 80%DOD daily it takes about 2.2 days to complete a charging cycle.  So far I am very pleased with the performance of the battery and Charge controller. I also asked about having more info from the battery performance to Alt-E and they told me they are working on a solution so we could see historic data such as cycle counts and dates etc…of our batteries in a web page since mine is connected to the internet and I can see the status from my cell phone. Hope this helps with your decision!