Forum breadcrumbs - You are here:CommunityShow & Tell: Show & TellKilovault HAB
Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Kilovault HAB

I am an installer with two new HAB systems being commissioned.  They are identical systems two different client sites.

5 kw PV, (1) Schneider XW Pro, (2) Midnite Classic 150 charge controllers, (2) Kilovault HAB's.  No XW battery monitor, Classics have Whizbang Jr.

First system is commissioned and operational for two weeks now.  I am at the tweaking stage.  This is a grid tied system but not net metered.  Client wants to utilize HAB batteries 24 hours a day for critical loads and recharge during daylight. There is generator support if required.  This is in the Virgin Islands so rare we need geny support!

Question One, I am trying to optimize HAB, Classics and XW charging values.  Primary charging is DC (solar) but if a LBCO is reached I want AC charging from XW to kick in.  Also if batteries reach a value equal to perhaps 60% SOC as opposed to LBCO of maybe 48volts.  Since there is no XW battery monitor I am relying on the Classics whizbang jr but what about the HAB's SOC?  How smart are these batteries?  They do not want battery temperature monitoring so they must be reading something.

Short version, I would like to optimize HAB, XW and Classics for AC & DC charging while maintaining a minimum 60% SOC.  I have Load Shaving enabled in the XW to maximize the batteries and use the grid as a back up only on critical loads.  I just want to keep these new batteries healthy for a long time.

Also having great difficulty using the HAB app and or web interface. This is advertised and my competition was pushing Tesla and I sold them on the app based the advertising.  I have seen little in the way of documentation on the web and cloud services and configuration.  The two weeks without enabling the app the two HAB's worked in perfect sync. Since trying to enable the app and HAB's they are charging and discharging at different rates and seem out of sync reporting false SOC information.

Looking for feedback and anyone with experience with these batteries. I have another system coming on line in a week or so and need to understand these batteries.

Thank you in advance for any relevant information

Jay Swartley

Hello Jay,

Please see my responses below.

Question One, I am trying to optimize HAB, Classics and XW charging values.
Primary charging is DC (solar) but if a LBCO is reached I want AC charging from XW to kick in.

• The XW (and SW btw) has a setting called "Recharge Voltage". In other inverter/chargers or charge controllers it is sometimes called "Rebulk". Recharge voltage is set above the Low Battery Cut Off, so that your system starts recharging your batteries before they are completely drained. We suggest a Recharge voltage of 51.4 V, which is about an 80% depth of discharge (DoD) or 20% SoC.

Also if batteries reach a value equal to perhaps 60% SOC as opposed to LBCO of maybe 48volts.

• If you would like to do a 40% DoD (60% SoC), you would set the recharge voltage to approximately 54.5V.

Since there is no XW battery monitor I am relying on the Classics whizbang jr but what about the HAB's SOC?

• The SoC you see in the HABs display is not communicated to any other devices.  With the proper HAB specifications programmed into your Midnite Classic, your Whizbang Jr. will display very accurate battery information. Keep in mind, though, that the Whizbang Jr. and the Midnite Classic do not send data to or receive data from the XW.

How smart are these batteries? They do not want battery temperature monitoring so they must be reading something.

• You never want to use battery temperature monitoring with any LFP batteries, including KiloVaults, because they do not vary in capacity with temperature like lead acid batteries. If the equipment you're using requires a battery temperature compensation value, input 0mV / °C, so that the equipment is not making any adjustments according to battery temperature.

Also having great difficulty using the HAB app and or web interface. This is advertised and my competition was pushing Tesla and I sold them on the app based the advertising. I have seen little in the way of documentation on the web and cloud services and configuration.

The two weeks without enabling the app the two HAB's worked in perfect sync. Since trying to enable the app and HAB's they are charging and discharging at different rates and seem out of sync reporting false SOC information.

• The HAB iT app is primarily for monitoring. You can, however, schedule specific charging times and, if desired, you can prevent a HAB from charging and discharging.
    It is a known issue that the SoC shown in the display, and therefore shown in the app, can lose calibration.  This has no effect on the HABs performance. The BMS operates on volts, amps and temperatures.  SoC is an approximate calculated value for end users.
    We do have a procedure to re-calibrate the HAB detailed in the manual. In brief, charge the HAB up to 56.4 V. Do not stop, even if the SoC reads 100% before it gets there. Keep charging. You may even get a high voltage alarm. You can safely ignore it. Just keep charging up to 56.4.
    To make sure that it doesn't happen again, there is a firmware update that can be installed via the cloud. Since we're already communicating via email, please send me pictures of the labels on the side of your HAB showing the serial number and the MAC address, so we can make the update happen.

I hope that I have answered your questions.

Sincerely,

KiloVault Tech Support

KiloVault® - Save the Sun
330 Codman Hill Road, Boxborough, MA 01719
Tel: +1.888.218.5924
KiloVault.com