Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Hlx+ double battery setup

I'm getting a high voltage reading during end of charge on one battery. My camper uses a noco charger. I have every thing set to 13.6 from the kilo vault manual but for some reason one battery charges just a little more when hooked up to 30amp shore power triggering an event every when battery gets full. Any ideas?

Hello Ryancs,

Thank you very much for contacting KiloVault Tech Support.

When the event occurs, what are the voltages of the individual batteries, either viewed through the HLX iT mobile app or measured with a voltmeter on each individual battery's terminals?

Before putting the batteries into service, was each one commissioned by charging each one individually up to 14.1V? Not doing so is one of the primary causes if charging imbalance. Others include not having the same length cables between the batteries for parallel and series connections and having loose battery connections.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, the charger settings should be:

Bulk/Absorb: 14.1V
Float (if used): 13.6V
Equalization: Do Not use!
HBCO (High Battery Cut Out): 14.4 V
LBCO (Low Battery Cut Out): 12.25 V (or as close as it can be set)
Recharge/Re-Bulk Volts (≈80% DoD) 12.75 V

Instructions on commissioning your HLX+ batteries can be found in section 3 of the manual - https://kilovault.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/KiloVault_HLX_Manual_V1.1.3_August2021.pdf - and the complete settings can be found in section 4.

I hope I've helped!

KiloVault Tech Support

When the event occured last night.

13.7v on 1

14.1v on 2.

All cables are same length.

Both were charged to 14.1 Individually during commission.

Quote from Ryancs on September 8, 2021, 12:08 am

When the event occured last night.

13.7v on 1

14.1v on 2.

All cables are same length.

Both were charged to 14.1 Individually during commission.

Hello @ryancs,

Thank you, that is important information.  Very good to know that you did the commissioning charge.
Could you please send us a sketch of how your batteries are wired together and how your bank is wired to the Noco?
Thank you!

I fixed the issue. Figured I'd post about it in case anyone else runs into issues.

The problem. Resides in the noco 10 series charger installed in my camper. It charges to 14.6 before cutoff so it causes over heat trigger in the events tab on kilovault app.

So my fix for this until I find a replacement charger for now is to keep my system turned on in camper. I.e. fridge. It discharges batteries just enough to get them to 100% with lot ever going into over hear trigger mode.

Hope this helps someone